Introduction to Art Song Monday, December 19, 2016
recommended by Jennifer F., Classical Vocal Music Specialist
Joan Frey Boytim’s “Introduction to Art Song” series is intended for any beginning classical singer, teenager through adult. It includes successful, well-liked songs in English which are not particularly difficult, ideal for Middle School and High School singers and above. A teacher browsing through the collections will find many familiar songs, but often in alternate keys from what has been previously published. Songs from American and British composers appear which are not included in previous collections, and no sacred songs, Christmas songs, or spirituals have been included, making these collections practical for use in beginning voice classes. Vocal ranges are moderate and accompaniments are not extremely difficult.
- 36 Solos for Young Singers (and 36 More Solos for Young Singers), for late elementary through mid-teens
- Easy Songs for the Beginning Singer (available in two volumes for each voice), for middle school and above
- Introduction to Art Song, for middle school and high school and above
- The First Book of Solos (available in three volumes for each voice, plus two volumes each of Broadway repertoire), for early high school and above
- The Second Book of Solos (available in two volumes for each voice), for late high school and above
- Standard Vocal Literature (edited by Richard Walters), for college and above
About the Author:
Jennifer F. is a graduate of Otterbein College with a degree in Vocal Performance. She has worked at Stanton’s for over 14 years specializing in Sacred Choral, Classical Vocal and Handbell music. Jennifer is a soprano section leader in the Chancel Choir at First Community Church in Columbus Ohio, and is also the founder, Artistic Director and bass bell ringer for Handbells Columbus.